These little date balls are the healthy answer to every sweet binge you will ever have. If, like me, you are given to unabashed immoderacy (read: total excess) when beautiful confections present themselves, then look no further. These guys are are sure to please, and even after a tiny binge, they won’t leave you feeling green about the gills!
Date balls are the perfect snack to keep around the house. This recipe is high in fibre, because of the mixture of dates, almonds and flax, which makes them very filling and healthy for digestion. Too, they are full of good fats such as Omega 3 and 6 because of the Acai Powder and Flax Seed, giving them a myriad of cardiovascular and mental health benefits. Acai is also loaded with antioxidants, which helps to keep disease-causing free radicals at bay.
In my recipe I use dried Mejdool dates from Nature’s Choice, which have a longer shelf life, but should you use fresh dates, be sure to cut down on the honey and coconut oil. You don’t want them to squishy.
1. Hydrate Dates in boiling water for 2 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon
1. Mix all your ingredients together. If you are using a Food Processor, you would use the S shaped blade… Blend for about a minute. Alternatively, you can use a mortar and pestle or a heavy set dish and a potato masher
2. Create little clumps of date goo, about one tablespoon’s worth. You should get about 15 out of this recipe
3. Gently roll the clumps into little balls and place them on wax paper in sealable container. Work adroitly, resisting the urge to taste
4. Dust generously with Acai powder and freeze for 3 hours. Once you remove them you can keep them out of the fridge for a few days, in the fridge they should last for about a week and a half.